Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Saying Goodbye to 2016

Saying Goodbye to 2016

Well this is it... The final day of 2016.  A look back and a look forward for success.

Sitting here writing this causes me to reflect on the past year but also look towards the new one.  I believe we shouldn't dwell on the past but learn from it.  At times I find myself falling back into the same old habits that drug me down into financial despair.  This is why continually reading books relating to personal finances is so important.  Even if you only take 5 minutes a day to read a couple of pages.  You'll find yourself advancing towards your ultimate goals.  Remember that when you reach a goal, reward yourself and set a new goal.  We can only move forward if we always have a goal in front of us.  This takes time, patience and practice but is very achievable.

The past couple weeks I have been home with my family to celebrate the holidays.  Come Tuesday, January 3rd, I'll be off and running again.  Although I still work to make ends meet, I have set new goals to replace the old and am on a direct path to reach them.  This brings me to one of my greatest downfalls, procrastination.  Procrastination has plagued me my whole life.  I will sit there thinking of all the things that need to be done and put it off until the last minute.  Sometimes I perform better when pressured into doing something, having no choice but to tackle it.  Other times I need to self-motivate.  I'm sure many of you have the same problem as I do.  We look for the easiest path and when we can't find one we step aside and hope for the best.  I know it can be hard at times to find motivation.  Believe me, I know how hard it can be but people who "Just Focus and Do It" achieve so much more.  Now for my disclaimer... "Just Focus and Do It" is derived from my training at Rapport Leadership International.  If you ever get invited, and you can only attend if invited, do not hesitate to go.  I had sent my oldest child and intend on sending my other two as time allows.  It is a very mind opening experience that gets you to dig deep into yourself and find the leader qualities we all have.  What you take away from it is up to you.  Some have gone and really find nothing.  They are happy with how they live and the situations they are in.  Others have revelations of great proportions that forever change their lives such as I did.  When things get tough, I look back on what that has taught me as well as the books I've read.  Much like this blog, I had put it off for so long.  I have come to realize that this is truly a great way for me to journal my progress and help others discover their own "Success from within".

As far as today goes, we finish some holiday cookies, cheese balls and Chex Mix.  I'll make some bacon wrapped smokies later.  I'll cut up some summer sausage, cheese and veggies.  It'll only be my wife and myself but we will toast in the New Year as we do every year.  Since moving to the Mid-West, I don't watch to ball come down but I'll still toast to everyones health and good fortune for the coming year.  I've already prepared for tomorrows dinner from Honeybaked Ham.  We'll be having Prime Rib as our first family meal of the New Year.  A prosperous year helped make that a reality.  I've prepared for my trip to Kansas on the 3rd so I don't have to worry about that.  Very little left to do except so sprucing up around the house.

What does 2017 have in store for me.  Well in the next couple weeks I'll see an addition to the family.  Our first grandson will be brought into this world.  My oldest daughter will be coming back to Iowa for that event.  With all the traveling I do, I was able to book her first class on Delta for the week visit.  This too is a result of a prosperous 2016.  I do wish she would listen to us and move back here but she is old enough to make her own decisions and mistakes.  I will no undoubtedly be traveling when the baby arrives but I know he'll be surrounded by family and loved ones to welcome him into the world.  New goals for the year is to really make progress on the house and a new savings goal.  It is tough at times to say no to buying something when the money is there but really has another purpose.  I also have been looking at new ways of relaxing.  Ways to let me unwind with the week after week travels I've run into the last couple years.  The money is good but it shouldn't come at a cost of personal health.  With that I've been working on getting the funds together to follow some passions of mine.

Allowing yourself to pursue your passion can be a great personal healer.  Finding a way to monetize your passion also opens up a whole new world of opportunities.  It creates extra income or even a fall back if you lose your position in economic unrest.  Allows you to be creative in your own way.  Brings happiness and self piece because you are doing something you enjoy.  Personal satisfaction since you may even be sharing it with others who enjoy the same thing.

Well I'm going to get back to getting rid of some more office clutter, so I can start the New Year with a fresh outlook and a cleaner working environment...

Wishing everyone safe travels and Happy Holidays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment